Monday, April 8, 2013

Launching My Blog

Hello everybody,
 Its been long time since i wanted to make my own blog, and finally here i am doing it.....
I love cooking and baking... it's passionate, creative, inspirational and therapeutic somehow. 
several years ago, a close friend of mine Noor Maraqa noticed this and she encouraged me a lot to start sharing my recipe with family and friends, so she surprised me by starting a group on Facebook called Rawan Otoom kitchen and already downloaded some of my home made recipes in it, and to be honest that made me so happy and really encouraged me a lot to start this journey, by making my own page on several social networks under the name of Rawan's Kitchen, and thanks god it gets more and more popular with time.

 My kitchen is my comfort zone, i spend a lot of time there, and always love to try new recipes, usually i make the same recipe several times and each time i twist something either by adding or removing one of the ingredients until i get to the final recipe, that will please most of the tastes around me, specially my beloved husband  who never lies to me after tasting a dish and tells me how to improve it next time, my father  who's very passionate about cooking and always comes to me with new ideas to try...you don't want to  enter the kitchen when me and my dad are cooking together, competition is on it's highest levels.  my mother is my biggest supporter and my 1st ever mentor whom i learned all the basics from. and always encouraged me to get into the kitchen and try what's new out there , and finally my mother in law, i really learned a lot from her, i love her way of cooking and paying attention to every single detail in order to get the best final dish that everybody will enjoy eating.... i own you all a lot and love you loads. 

My blog will concentrate mainly on my home made recipes and some cooking tips and secrets in order to encourage you all to try them and get the best results out there, and am looking forward to hear your feedbacks, simply by leaving a comment down at the end of each post.... 

The very 1st recipe that i decided to start my blog with,  have a nice memory inside me, hope you will enjoy making it and share it with someone you love... am sure it will taste even better.

The Magical Crème Caramel Cake (kudrit kader)




What would be more delicious and mouth watering than a lemon pound cake? The answer would be a lemon cake with Crème caramel. One of the masterminds of dessert recipes came up with a way to mix them both together in one dish. So you can enjoy the fluffy and fresh taste of lemon cake with the rich taste of Crème caramel. This cake is from the Mediterranean cuisine. It's called kudrit kader, which means made by a miracle. It got that name because you mix the Crème caramel and the cake ingredients in one dish and somehow the Crème caramel goes on bottom and the cake goes on top. Contrary to what you might think, it's easy and fast to make. You will actually enjoy making it and most of all eating it. If you wish you can also use this recipe to only make Crème caramel with its delicious sugar syrup. This recipe goes back to school days, as a little girl back then, I watched my mom (my great model) making this cake. The magic that happened inside the oven, made me fall in love with this recipe, and sparkle the passion for cooking and baking inside me, Maybe this was the 1st recipe that I mastered. From that day until now every time I make this, people ask for the recipe. So here we go...


Ingredients

This cake consists of three parts.

Ingredients:
1st- Caramel
  • 1 cup white granulated sugar
2nd- Crème Caramel
  • 3 eggs              
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups powdered milk
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 cup white caster sugar
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
3rd- The Cake:
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ cup warm water
  • 11/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • zest and juice of one lemon
  • 1 can nestle heavy cream (160g)

Method

Caramel Method:
  1. At a low temperature, put sugar in a medium size aluminum angel food or round cake pan, and heat it up above the stove until it’s completely melted with beautiful amber color, make sure u stay close because it burns out so quickly.
  2. Put it away to cool. Eventually it’s going to get hard.

Cream Caramel Method:
  1. In an electric mixer add all ingredients and mix until well combined.
  2. Add the mix on top of the cold hardened caramel.

Cake Method:
  1. With an electric mixer beat eggs, sugar and vanilla.
  2. Add vegetable oil
  3. Add flour and baking powder.
  4. Add water, cream, lemon juice and zest. Keep beating until batter well-blended.
  5. Add batter on top of sugar and crème caramel mix.
  6. In a bigger deep roasting pan, put the smaller aluminum cake pan that has the batter. Then pour boiling water halfway up the sides, Make sure water doesn’t get to batter.
  7. In a preheated oven to 180 degrees C put the pans. Bake between 45 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle, comes out with just a few moist crumbs on it.
  8. Leave cake to cool outside for an hour, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably over night.
  9. Before serving, place the cake pan on the same roasting pan you used before, and fill it halfway up again with boiling water for 1 minute, then lift the pan up and dry the sides.
  10. On the serving plate turn the cake pan upside down so it would come down on the plate and the sugar caramel syrup drizzling over the cake. Divine



Tried this recipe?


Why not leave a comment or a suggestion?

Be the first one to leave a comment

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Rawan.. i tried your recipe, its fabulous! :) just follow the exact instruction and you'll get the exact cake and flavour as in the picture!
    i have one question, is there a recommended milk powder you use?
    thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Nadine,
    Thnx a lot for the sweet comment and am very glad you tried my recipe and like it.
    usually I use @Nestlè products (Nido) but off course you can use the milk that u prefer the most, thnx again my friend and don't forget to share it with someone you love.. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete